How was school today?” “Good”– followed by silence
Why are children so secretive about their day. Most days when I pick up my daughter from school it takes a least 15 minutes to work out if she has had a good day. From a blank look to one word answers to my questions a left with few answers at least until bedtime, whenl the chat about the day is in full flow.
So how do you get the download from the school day with the easy of Oprah?
Here is a list of 9 questions that might help:
- What was the best thing that happened today at school?
- Of all the lessons you had today which was your favourite one?
- Tell me about break time?
- If you could do today all over again but as the teacher, what would you make everyone do?
- Did anyone in your class get upset today?
- What did you talk about at lunch?
- What was the best thing that happened today?
- Is there anything that happened today which you need my help with?
- What are you looking forward to tomorrow?
You may not get all the after school answers you want but it should help you crack the code and really find out - how was school today?